PROPECIAHELP: Persistent Finasteride Propecia Proscar side effects info & discussion forum

Forum for men with PERSISTENT sexual, mental & physical side effects which CONTINUE DESPITE QUITTING Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar), a 5AR inhibitor drug for hair loss, prostate enlargement & prostate cancer.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:21 pm 

Drug: Propecia
Usage: 2 years
Started: 01 Oct 2007
Stopped: 12 Mar 2011
Hi all,

Going back to when my libido problems while on propecia started, I had jock itch. After taking an ointment to cure it, I wanted to prevent it from coming back. I did a lot of heavy activity and in order to control the sweat down there, I started using medicated body powder in my underwear and around my groin. I started noticing that at the end of an active day, rather than getting a bit horny my penis was dead. Hmm. When I didn't use the body powder, it didn't happen. So I stopped using it for a while, then used it again, stopped, then again. Each time, I noticed sudden impotence. So I started to do a little research:

Medicinal Ingredients:
Menthol - "Akdogan M , Ozguner M , Kocak A , Oncu M , Cicek E . Effects of peppermint teas on plasma testosterone, follicle-stimulating hormone, and luteinizing hormone levels and testicular tissue in rats . Urology . 2004;64:394-398." -> Reduces testosterone and kills libido.
Zinc - Too much may have a negative effect on libido.

Non-medicinal ingredients:
Talc - Couldn't find anything.
Acacia - Yousef MI,"Reproductive performance, blood testosterone, lipid peroxidation and seminal plasma biochemistry of rabbits as affected by feeding Acacia saligna under subtropical conditions.", Food Chem Toxic (2005) -> no effect on libido
Methyl Salicylate - analgesic, no known effect on libido.
Thymol - Antiseptic, found nothing.
Zinc Stearate - Can't find anything conclusive, but again it's a zinc compound which might decrease libido in overdoses.
Eucalyptol - Another antiseptic, nothing.

So basically it comes down to the menthol, and maybe overdose of zinc.

Anyone else use a lot of menthol or zinc while on Propecia? Notice any adverse reactions?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:33 pm 

Drug: Proscar
Usage: 5 months
I started taking zinc, fish oil and IRON a couple of weeks before i crashed. I don't think it has anything to do with it to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:14 am 

bk_ wrote:
Hi all,

Going back to when my libido problems while on propecia started, I had jock itch. After taking an ointment to cure it, I wanted to prevent it from coming back. I did a lot of heavy activity and in order to control the sweat down there, I started using medicated body powder in my underwear and around my groin. I started noticing that at the end of an active day, rather than getting a bit horny my penis was dead. Hmm. When I didn't use the body powder, it didn't happen. So I stopped using it for a while, then used it again, stopped, then again. Each time, I noticed sudden impotence. So I started to do a little research:

Medicinal Ingredients:
Menthol - "Akdogan M , Ozguner M , Kocak A , Oncu M , Cicek E . Effects of peppermint teas on plasma testosterone, follicle-stimulating hormone, and luteinizing hormone levels and testicular tissue in rats . Urology . 2004;64:394-398." -> Reduces testosterone and kills libido.

Acacia - Yousef MI,"Reproductive performance, blood testosterone, lipid peroxidation and seminal plasma biochemistry of rabbits as affected by feeding Acacia saligna under subtropical conditions.", Food Chem Toxic (2005) -> no effect on libido
Zinc Stearate - Can't find anything conclusive, but again it's a zinc compound which might decrease libido in overdoses.

Anyone else use a lot of menthol or zinc while on Propecia? Notice any adverse reactions?

have you used any 5ARi (fin, dut, saw palmetto)? yes or no?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:37 am 

Usage: 34 days
spstriken wrote:
bk_ wrote:
Hi all,

Medicinal Ingredients:

Are you alright?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:10 am 

Usage: 2 years
Started: 01 Oct 2007
Stopped: 12 Mar 2011
spstriken wrote:

ummmmm... I mentioned in like the first sentence above that I took propecia (fin). I also have a profile you can check out and read. I'm also on this discussion board. I also have some info about my fin usage to the left. Does that answer your question?!