PROPECIAHELP: Persistent Finasteride Propecia Proscar side effects info & discussion forum

Forum for men with PERSISTENT sexual, mental & physical side effects which CONTINUE DESPITE QUITTING Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar), a 5AR inhibitor drug for hair loss, prostate enlargement & prostate cancer.
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 11:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 am 

Drug: Propecia
Usage: 2.2 years
Started: 01 Nov 2008
Stopped: 01 Jan 2011
So this is an odd mix of questions, but I really would like to know how everyone on here is doing... I know a lot of people are suffering, and a great deal, but I'm not looking for overly dramatic answers. I am looking for honesty, but if that includes dramatic answers, so be it. I care about everyone on here, and I hear the desperation constantly, but I know you all have your good moments (even if they are very few or far between). Please don't judge this post unfairly...... as in, "this gets us nowhere!" It lets me feel like I understand people here a little better. Because 90% of this board is people throwing around theories regarding our problem, rarely do I get a glimpse of the human side of everyone. Sure this drug feels dehumanizing... but I would love to meet all of you. We all have our stories, and we are all worth a damn, in spite of this mess. So if you care to humor me, answer these questions. You don't need to answer all of them, but the more the better I suppose. I can see this post not getting much attention, but I thought I would try anyways. Thanks for your time, guys.

1.) How old are you?
2.) How old were you when you took finasteride, and for how long?
3.) Where do you live? Do you live alone or with someone?
4.) Are you married or in a relationship?
5.) Do you have a supporting cast around you? Do you have a partner/close friends/family who care for you?
6.) Do you get to see friends and family often? Do they help keep you grounded and/or comforted, even if they really do not understand the magnitude of this problem?
7.) Do you still have days you would consider good days, or are they all bad? What % would you be able to consider good vs bad?
8.) Do you exercise? Lift weights?
9.) Do you drink alcohol frequently? Have you made a lot of dietary or lifestyle changes to try to combat side effects?
10.) Are there hobbies that you still enjoy? What do you do to escape your problems? What things do you still look forward to?
11.) Do you work (career/full-time job/part-time job)? And if so, where?
12.) What do you foresee for your future? If this one is too heavy, no need to answer, but this could just include your short-term plans.
13.) Is there anything else you care to share? Can just be any thoughts you have at the moment. Anything goes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:26 am 

Drug: Propecia
Usage: 1 year
Started: 10 Jan 2010
Stopped: 10 Oct 2011
ill go ahead and go first, tho donkeyboy probably already knows this much about me! haha

1.) How old are you? 26

2.) How old were you when you took finasteride, and for how long? 24, for a year

3.) Where do you live? Do you live alone or with someone? Seattle, i live alone.

4.) Are you married or in a relationship? single.

5.) Do you have a supporting cast around you? Do you have a partner/close friends/family who care for you? family and friends help me a lot.

6.) Do you get to see friends and family often? Do they help keep you grounded and/or comforted, even if they really do not understand the magnitude of this problem? it depends. i don't think anyone really helps me as much as fellow sufferers. but friends that listen and try to take my mind off it are my saving grace.

7.) Do you still have days you would consider good days, or are they all bad? What % would you be able to consider good vs bad? they're all similar. it all depends on my mindset. if i force myself to stay positive, i do better. i wouldn't say there is a %... i don't have obviously better days than others.. it's how i handle it that changes.

8.) Do you exercise? Lift weights? light cardio. i don't life weights. i need to.

9.) Do you drink alcohol frequently? Have you made a lot of dietary or lifestyle changes to try to combat side effects? yes i drink regularly. i notice that sexual sides are less if i abstain, but things like insomnia and fatigue are slightly worse. i haven't made a ton of changes since all of this. when i do, i notice slight gains. but not enough to keep me staying super healthy, unfortunately.

10.) Are there hobbies that you still enjoy? What do you do to escape your problems? What things do you still look forward to? i still enjoy watching movies. i escape by balancing spending time alone with being social. my mind/body knows what i need i think.

11.) Do you work (career/full-time job/part-time job)? And if so, where? haven't worked since this started. i will soon. i feel like i can do just fine despite the setbacks.

12.) What do you foresee for your future? If this one is too heavy, no need to answer, but this could just include your short-term plans. i foresee tons for the future. i know i will be cured at some point. i believe it will be within the next three years at most. i take it a day at a time for now, i blog on a website that i like. it keeps my mind functioning. once i am cured, i swear a lot will happen. as much as i worry - i'm not too worried (if that makes any sense).

13.) Is there anything else you care to share? Can just be any thoughts you have at the moment. Anything goes. One thing I have learned is that I am a strong human being. And anything that tests/proves my strength I am all for. I have always had some angst and some fight in me and this condition has certainly brought that out. I have learned to see the beauty in every experience (as hacky as that may sound)... I know I'm fighting through something that very few will ever experience but those of us that have know the magnitude. it's made me stronger, wiser, and more empathetic. life is beautiful.