PROPECIAHELP: Persistent Finasteride Propecia Proscar side effects info & discussion forum

Forum for men with PERSISTENT sexual, mental & physical side effects which CONTINUE DESPITE QUITTING Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar), a 5AR inhibitor drug for hair loss, prostate enlargement & prostate cancer.
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:46 pm 

Drug: Propecia
Usage: 2 months
Started: 01 May 2001
Stopped: 01 Jul 2001
If you've have them, would you mind telling me about any temporary recoveries you've had from your condition? Also, can you include how they long they lasted, and whether they were induced by something (med, herb, regimen of any form) you tried, or whether just random? Also, can you tell me about the timeframe of the event, relative to when you stopped Propecia?

I'm a long time sufferer and I am just fully perplexed by my mini-recoveries. I am trying to understand a bit more about what brings them on, and if there is any common ground. So far, all I can get is that there is some sort of extreme emotional condition, or an adrenaline rush of some sort. But it's very strange, and strangest of all is that I cannot understand how, many years after my Propecia use, if this is some sort of "permanent" alteration to my hormonal, genetic, etc. system- why I'm recovering at all.

A few of mine:
- A few months ago, when my wife and I dove into researching this, she came up with a healthy amount of info to help convince me that my condition was mentally derived after all (I have had a history of some depression, and lots of other random coincidental reasons why this was a decent theory). In any event, just hearing that (and maybe desperately wanting to believe it), caused me to have a significantly heightened libido AND erection function for about a week. It's like things were really starting to feel normal again. And then just like that, I was back to zero. But I didn't take anything, there was no change in my diet, nothing.
- A few years ago, I came home from work just NEEDING sex (and had it). It was that full libido feeling (and erection function). I don't know why or what brought it on, but something during the work day had started things up. It was years ago so I cannot say what I ate or anything, but I doubt it was anythng new- I'm generally a creature of habit. This one is a head scratcher.
- The day before my wedding, I called off our wedding. My wife and I reconciled after a seriously emotionally charged conversation. At the culmination of that conversation, my libido/function went through the roof and remained high for the first few days of my honeymoon, and then petered off again.

I cannot explain these mini recoveries and why they come/go. Again, the only potential common thread I can see is some sort of emotionally charged event. I'm wondering if any of the rest of you have had events like this. Either way, I'd appreciate hearing about your mini-recoveries and what brought them on. Thanks.

(37 year old male, very healthy, good basic hormone profile, no libido, erectile issues. No brain fog, shrinkage, etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:34 am 

if you don't have any serious health issues like weight loss,muscle loss, vision problems, heart palpitation, insomnia,stomach ulcer ,bone pain,joint pain etc then please see a sex therapist for your problems. Questions like these are annoying. I applogise but for some us sides are very serious, Just sex only is not the main issue for many of us here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:50 am 

Usage: 34 days
spstriken wrote:
if you don't have any serious health issues like weight loss,muscle loss, vision problems, heart palpitation, insomnia,stomach ulcer ,bone pain,joint pain etc then please see a sex therapist for your problems. Questions like these are annoying. I applogise but for some us sides are very serious, Just sex only is not the main issue for many of us here.

That is really quite rude. He says he has no libido and erectile issues. I dont think a sex theropist would be able to help with pfs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:04 am 

tim1911 wrote:
spstriken wrote:

That is really quite rude. He says he has no libido and erectile issues. I dont think a sex theropist would be able to help with pfs.

Appreciate the backup Tim.

Spstriken- I am sorry for your suffering and I consider myself pretty lucky to only have sexual sides. But the truth is that I've had sexual sides for almost 10 years now and it hasn't been a cakewalk living with no libido all this time. I too am trying to solve my issues, although I do agree that they are leaps and bounds easier to live with than the ones you face.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:23 pm 

Drug: Proscar
Usage: 5 months
I have no idea why i have experienced brief recoveries in the past. Here they are:

. after drinking a lot of alcohol and eating crap - lasted a couple of days

. just as i finished 5 days of pregnenolone use - lasted a couple of days

. after using ecstasy, feeling very ill for a couple of days - lasted about 4 days

. royal jelly - high libido and good erections lated about a week, my strength increase also shocked me

. after a long holiday in a very hot country - 100% recovery for about 5 days, i felt incredible and my libido and erections were probably even better than pre fin, after the 5 days i also felt good sexually but fluctuations were occuring, throughout some of this brain fog was bad

. went back on propecia - lasted 9 days, very good recovery - i thought this one was it

It's horrible because as i have had brief recoveries i would think that i could sustain at least some improvements but instead the general trend apart from brief recoveries is WORSENING symptoms

Last edited by bluecloud87 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:24 pm 

It would be good to see some more posts in this thread i am curious as to how many brief recoveries others have experienced

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm 

i always experience fake recoveries :D

is always two step forward, one step back, one step forward, two back.
now seems good, but who knows in some weeks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:21 pm 

i borrow from martinm this list of improvements and i point out what i gain temporary
in my 20-30 days recoveries

1) get an erection immediately (not instantaneous but with visual/mental stimulation)
2) have multiple sexual activities daily to multiple orgasms (no, i could only for some days)
3) getting spontaneous erections often (not without stimulus)
4) having daily morning erections (yes)
5) have multiple orgasms/ejaculations in a row (no, maybe some but i don't want try)
6) have as strong, satisfying feeling with orgasm (not as before fina)
7) gain and maintain erections in any position ()
8) shoot ejaculate for a distance rather than dribble it (depends from days of abstinence)

9) have a pressing libido urges through the day to have sexual activity through completion
(this absolutely not)

10) have full hard erection size every time and no problems with over-shrinkage after orgasm
(after orgasm always shrink a bit)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:52 pm 

Ok, I'll go - I've had two full blown recoveries that have lasted about 3 days each: The first was a couple summers ago, I was backpacking. I can only speculate that the ruggedness of it got both my ego and testosterone going, but my libido was sky high.

Second was this past April. I thought cutting out alcohol (after a few weeks of partying a lot) and going gluten free would help. A bit to my surprise, they did! I had a really high libido for three days here as well. Returned to my PFS state and stayed on the diet for a few more weeks without improvement.

I know this is a sensitive sensitive topic - but in both of these recoveries for me there was a mental component. Hiking, I was feeling very "manly", and last April I believed a treatment was going to work and it did - for a few days. Then it disappeared. I'm not suggesting this is a mental problem but there is some component at work here for me at least...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:39 am 

Thanks guys, this is great food for thought. Don't know what to make of these, but still appreciate it. Would love to hear more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:38 am 

nyer
Unfortunately, I have never had shot-time recoveries. I am also a long-time sufferer and for me almost every day is the same. I don't know why my body isn't able to readjust to the marvelous pre-finasteride state. It really was a wonderful life - now its crap for almost eight years!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:43 pm 

Usage: 34 days
keepup wrote:
nyer
Unfortunately, I have never had shot-time recoveries. I am also a long-time sufferer and for me almost every day is the same. I don't know why my body isn't able to readjust to the marvelous pre-finasteride state. It really was a wonderful life - now its crap for almost eight years!

This is my situation aswell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:34 pm 

The short term recoveries are indeed strange. I am glad i have experienced them because they give me hope when i am at rock bottom. However, at the same time, it is really fucking horrible when you think the finasteride ordeal is over and then you end up back in hell.

I can remember being SO happy when i was feeling good on holiday and the time i re took propecia. I realized just how much this condition changes me. It is literally like being a COMPLETELY different person in some ways, mainly you desire sex like every other man.

It's crazy when i think my body can switch back to normal like that and yet it won't stay that way. If only i knew why. I don't think we will ever know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:51 am 

Usage: 2 yrs
Started: 0- 1-2009
Stopped: 0- 9-2010
UK20 wrote:
The short term recoveries are indeed strange. I am glad i have experienced them because they give me hope when i am at rock bottom. However, at the same time, it is really fucking horrible when you think the finasteride ordeal is over and then you end up back in hell.

This.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:13 am 

Drug: None
Usage: 11 months
Started: 01 Aug 2008
Stopped: 20 Jun 2009
I too go through random short term recoveries. Have no idea why they happen. I have noticed recently that they are happening a little more frequently. I probably have a brief recovery once every 8 weeks or so. They only last for like 3-4 days though.
It makes me soo mad too these little recoveries always happen in the middle of the week. Once the weekend comes and Im ready to put my johnson to use again the recovery fades away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:00 pm 

IMO this points to that our problem is autoimmune, IF you go on forums for rheumatoid arthritis or interstitial cystitis , people report the same thing. For many people symptoms disappear for many days or weeks.

I also get this kind of recover but only for hours to one day maximum where I feel a lot better but then get a nose dive.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:26 am 

Usage: 1 month
Started: 7- 0-2009
Stopped: 8- 0-2009
this is a pretty interesting post because i was just searching this site for adrenaline. today, i am suffering from a recnt pretty bad crash, anyway, i woke up this morning and my body felt like it was in full shock, like i had a ridiculous amount of stress pumping through my body, i couldnt think straight, i was light headed, i felt terrible... i started eating anything i could find and it helped it. it went away for the rest of the day.

then later tonight i'm talking to some customers at my job and all of a sudden the body shock comes back, light headed, feel like i'm going to throw up, my back starts aching and throbbing, and i have to leave.

then, again tonight i'm sitting on my couch and i feel completely emotionless, like i feel nothing.. no sadness, no joy, no nothing. i'm like, what the hell is going on? i decide at this point that my neurotransmitters are obviously screwed up and the only way i know to realign this is extreme exercise, so i goto my backyard and get this extreme exercise session going on. i ran for about 10 mins straight up and down my stairs and DID NOT FEEL TIRED AT ALL. WTF? Usually, I go for about 3 minutes and have to seriously push myself. Tonight? Nope.. complete maximum energy. at this point, i'm somewhat worried because i'm wondering if im about to pass out because i don't feel anything?

anyway, i come in and start doing crazy pushups and start feeling myself coming back to reality. i think what happened was that i had a MASSIVE adrenaline rush. my body felt as if it was extremely eneregized, the way you feel before a fight, but i didn't have any emotion to counter it. i also felt some kidney pain earlier. anyway, i don't have any idea what was going on but i search for adrenaline and found this thread so i figured i would share my story. i'm going to exercise some more because i know the way to get rid of adrenaline is to force it out...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:43 pm 

Usage: 7 weeks
Started: 28 Nov 2010
Stopped: 24 Jan 2011
I had a week of almost full recovery after a period of high stress. I also recently had a few days of feeling ok in some areas after a period of stress. Tim just posted a link on another thread stating that stress may be beneficial for auotimmune disorders and that short term fasting can reverse autoimmune disease... It's pretty interesting. Goes to show how differently we're all affected though, some guys symptoms worsen if they get stressed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:28 pm 

Drug: Dutasteride
Usage: 3 years
Started: 01 Jan 2008
Stopped: 01 Jan 2011
I have had temporary recoveries after eating like crap and drinking alot same as the poster above
this is helllll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:38 pm 

bryce54 wrote:
this is a pretty interesting post because i was just searching this site for adrenaline. today, i am suffering from a recnt pretty bad crash, anyway, i woke up this morning and my body felt like it was in full shock, like i had a ridiculous amount of stress pumping through my body, i couldnt think straight, i was light headed, i felt terrible... i started eating anything i could find and it helped it. it went away for the rest of the day.

then later tonight i'm talking to some customers at my job and all of a sudden the body shock comes back, light headed, feel like i'm going to throw up, my back starts aching and throbbing, and i have to leave.

then, again tonight i'm sitting on my couch and i feel completely emotionless, like i feel nothing.. no sadness, no joy, no nothing. i'm like, what the hell is going on? i decide at this point that my neurotransmitters are obviously screwed up and the only way i know to realign this is extreme exercise, so i goto my backyard and get this extreme exercise session going on. i ran for about 10 mins straight up and down my stairs and DID NOT FEEL TIRED AT ALL. WTF? Usually, I go for about 3 minutes and have to seriously push myself. Tonight? Nope.. complete maximum energy. at this point, i'm somewhat worried because i'm wondering if im about to pass out because i don't feel anything?

anyway, i come in and start doing crazy pushups and start feeling myself coming back to reality. i think what happened was that i had a MASSIVE adrenaline rush. my body felt as if it was extremely eneregized, the way you feel before a fight, but i didn't have any emotion to counter it. i also felt some kidney pain earlier. anyway, i don't have any idea what was going on but i search for adrenaline and found this thread so i figured i would share my story. i'm going to exercise some more because i know the way to get rid of adrenaline is to force it out...

I get this sort of thing Bryce. it just creeps up on you and ruins everything that you are doing, even if it is just watching TV.

I am not joking when i say that we really are going though hell, i actually can't think of much worse than this. I am starting to feel very bitter about the whole situation. It's a good job i didn't get it off a doctor because i would probably have killed them by now. I would happily torture and kill the people that put this drug out there knowing it can do this to people.

I was reading stories earlier on the thyroid madness website about people that lost everything because of thyroid problems and low testosterone etc. Families turning against them because of scum bag doctors, losing there jobs, losing there driving license. It's probably me in a few years.