0) Where are you from (country)?
1) How did you find this forum (Google search -- if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website -- if so, what page? Other?)
Google with search term: "finasteride gynecomastia"
2) What is your current age, height, weight?
28 Year Old, 1,70m height, 70 kg weight
3) Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
No, occasional bike
4) What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
quite everything, not much meat, frequent carbohydrates (pasta and similar). Practically no fast-food.
5) Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
6) For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
20 moths approx
7) How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride?
26 Year Old, Approx July 2010
8) How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
9) How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
10) What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
Generic Finasteride: Finasteride Sandoz (used it for the first year approx)--> libido loss; maybe localization of fat on the hips (as I never had that problem). I then used Finasteride Alter--> Don't know it there's a connection with this particular product but nipples started progressively to swell and hurt.
11) What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
1/4 pill every day (1/4 of 5 mg).
12) How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
Libido and sperm consistency loss were expected and onset for all time of the cure. Suspect gynecomastia started 1-2 months before I quit Finasteride. Abnormal (in comparison to my past) fat dispersion worsen during the cure. But until now I never thought that could be Finasteride.
I was about to go to a neurologist (and this is still on the plans) for a difficulty on conecentration and related problems, apparentely worsened in the last years. But I never suspected Finasteride for this. However I read below that this may be a side effect. The same applies for joint pains in the legs. I couldn't run as strong pain was expected the next day.
13) What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontin uation?
Libido loss, enlarged nipples, pain when nipples are touched. Metal agility difficulties persist but this is hard to quantify.
Put an X beside all that apply:
[X] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility
[ ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[X] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[X] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[X] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[X] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[X] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[X] Muscle Wastage
[X] Muscle Weakness
[X] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / "Poo Pellets"
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature
[ ] Other (please explain)
NOTE: I cannot be sure if all the above side effects are due to Finasteride, as 1 year ago I stopped using Efexor 37,5 mg.
14) What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
None: I had a visit from an endocrinologist for the nipples enlargement. He couldn't see anything as in fact the problem is sometimes invisible, depending on physiological conditions. He assured me that if there was a problem, it would resolve alone. But he didn't convince me.
16) Anything not listed in the above questions you'd like to share about your experience with Finasteride?
17) Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
It is about 5 months now that I stopped Finasteride. Side effects do not appear to regress. I am somewhat preoccupied...
Finasteride works for hair loss. But it seems it brought me big problems and the situation appears to be stable.