PROPECIAHELP: Persistent Finasteride Propecia Proscar side effects info & discussion forum

Forum for men with PERSISTENT sexual, mental & physical side effects which CONTINUE DESPITE QUITTING Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar), a 5AR inhibitor drug for hair loss, prostate enlargement & prostate cancer.
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Brain fog
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:35 am
Posts: 88
Location: So.Cal.
Come on guys, nobody has gone through this wonderful side of propecia? Brain fog.
did you guys get it while on fin or after you quit. Do you still have it?
Do you notice times it gets better or worse and why. How long did it last?
Ive been able to beat mine but if I eat crappy foods, stress myself out physically or mentally it returns somewhat.
Any other?
lets get the ball rollin'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Brain fog
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:02 pm
Posts: 1
Hey there,

I am glad I found somebody else that have the same side effects as me. I recently decided to take propecia. I took it for 1 week. I know it was not that long but in that small period of time I noticed some sexual side effects like it was hard to get an erection and things like this. Also, after a week I noticed that my head started to hurt, I felt a little dizzie just not a good feeling. So, I stopped taking the pill. The sexual side effects went away but this brain fog that you call has not. its been about 4 weeks. I do not know if its b/c of the pills or something else but I have read about people that present the same brain fog feeling. I dont know how long you took the pill for or any details but it sure sounds something similar to what i have. I noticed that when lie down in bed the brain fog feeling tends to go away but it returns as soon as i get up and start moving. Well, I hope its a side effect of the pill and not somthing else.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:56 pm
Posts: 4
Location: los angeles
Hey guys,
I experienced mental sides while on propecia. I took propecia on and off for 4 years and did not correlate my sides with propecia until I did a little research. Since quitting (3 months ago), I have noticed an improvement.

I did experience what is often described as "brain fog" but for me it manifested more as depression / anxiety. I am predisposed to mild depression genetically but I suffered major anxiety attacks while taking propecia.

I have included a study done on propecia and mood. My basic understanding is that the 5-alpha reductase enzyme metabolizes in the brain and finasterife being a 5-alpha inhibitor somehow can create mood variations in the people who take the drug. I have no science background and maybe someone else could help explain why this "brain fog" or mood disturbances can happen on fin.

I think that brain fog has to be correlated to people that get depressed on propecia...maybe if you're not predisposed to depression / anxiety, the sides manifests as a brain fog and for people predisposed, it can manifest as anxiety and/or depression.

Nonetheless, I noticed a gradual improvement since stopping the drug but the tricky thing with mental sides is that they are hard to gage. I included the link to the study I referred to but it is also under Finasteride Studies on this forum.

http://www.pubmedcentral.com/articleren ... id=1622749

-Lewis
PS: I am new to this site and was not on the yahoo group and I have to say this forum is amazing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain fog
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:40 am
Posts: 27
Mitch wrote:
Come on guys, nobody has gone through this wonderful side of propecia? Brain fog.
did you guys get it while on fin or after you quit. Do you still have it?
Do you notice times it gets better or worse and why. How long did it last?
Ive been able to beat mine but if I eat crappy foods, stress myself out physically or mentally it returns somewhat.
Any other?
lets get the ball rollin'


I have DEFINITELY experienced brainfog. It was so ridiculous. I never felt so stupid in my entire life.

I've read a post that mentioned that DHT actually is needed to feed certain nerves and the sudden decrease can cause brain damage. I wouldn't discount that.

I've been off for one year now. I noticed improvement after 6-7 months of quitting.

VERY grueling process. Stay away from anything that can induce anything close to stress.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:35 am
Posts: 88
Location: So.Cal.
Its definately the propecia guys. It also gave me the inability to deal with any kind of mental stress, no matter how small. Its basically a poison if you ask me. In my case I didnt know about the Yahoo group and so it took me a long time to figure out what was going on with me. It was a complete nightmare. I kept thinking that maybe it was the propecia but everytime I looked up sides on the internet it kept telling me the side were rare and small. Lies. Thank God I found the Yahoo site.
In my case I laid off alcohol, sweets caffeines etc. It does help but may take a little while. dont stress out your livers either. Stay away from junk foods, fast foods etc.

Let me add that Im not pre disposed to depression. Before propecia I was such an easy going person, laid back etc.
During and after propecia I was an utter mess. Anxiety, depressed, brain fog...you name it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 40
Mitch wrote:
Its definately the propecia guys. It also gave me the inability to deal with any kind of mental stress, no matter how small. Its basically a poison if you ask me. In my case I didnt know about the Yahoo group and so it took me a long time to figure out what was going on with me. It was a complete nightmare. I kept thinking that maybe it was the propecia but everytime I looked up sides on the internet it kept telling me the side were rare and small. Lies. Thank God I found the Yahoo site.
In my case I laid off alcohol, sweets caffeines etc. It does help but may take a little while. dont stress out your livers either. Stay away from junk foods, fast foods etc.

Let me add that Im not pre disposed to depression. Before propecia I was such an easy going person, laid back etc.
During and after propecia I was an utter mess. Anxiety, depressed, brain fog...you name it.


How long did it take for finisteride to have the harmful side effects? I was on it for 1.5 years before things turned nasty (mental fog, dizziness, and 24 hr headches), but the doctors have labelled it new daily persistent headache


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:35 am
Posts: 88
Location: So.Cal.
I think I was on it for a year or so when I started feeling the sides. I didnt know it was from propecia at the time, it occured to me several times but every time I looked up the sides on the internet it would just tell me the usual and I would believe it. One day merck will pay heavily for this shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: My Experience
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:56 pm
Posts: 134
I'm 25/male. I too experienced "brain fog" while on propecia and since I have quit. I quit about 9 months ago after being on propecia for about 2 years. I still experience mental fog once in a while. Sometimes I feel like I'm super intelligent and other times I feel like a retard. It is also more difficult for me to deal with stress. I am slightly depressed mainly because of the various side-effects I have been experiencing from taking propecia. I also noticed that I am less willing to challenge myself with activities that require thinking. I am more moody as well.

Is a test a doctor can do to figure out if propecia has affected my brain? On a side note, I talked to my friend who has done a lot of illegal drugs and he told me that it affected his mind but that his mind recovered. He is know a successful law school student. Maybe our brians can repair themselves from any damage propecia has done.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Brain Fog
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:53 pm
Posts: 3
There is no question that finasteride can cause brain fog and other mental symptoms. Finasteride is a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor. It prevents the conversion of testosterone to DHT. DHt is 3-10 times more potent an androgen than testosterone. The 2 organs with the highest DHT receptors are the brain and the heart. This is not well known. Although the prostate and hair follicles have dht receptors and these are the 2 organs that the drug is supposed to target, big pharma and the urologists ignore the systemic effects which are sugnificant. DHt is also a potent vasodilator that works via the nitiric acid pathway. As you probably know, nitric acid is responsible for erections as well as arterial vasodilation. That is why viagra works (release of nitirc oxide) and why it can cause hypotension. It is my belief that people of finasteride will have a greater problem with pre existing
hypertension and may even develop new onset hypertension. Studies have not been done on this but it has been my experience on the drug. I am an antiaging physician also on finasteride and just recently started suffering the effects of the drug and discovering its pitfalls. I am getting off the drug after undergoing PVP for BPH.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain fog
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:46 am
Posts: 254
pnb07670 wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Come on guys, nobody has gone through this wonderful side of propecia? Brain fog.
did you guys get it while on fin or after you quit. Do you still have it?
Do you notice times it gets better or worse and why. How long did it last?
Ive been able to beat mine but if I eat crappy foods, stress myself out physically or mentally it returns somewhat.
Any other?
lets get the ball rollin'


I have DEFINITELY experienced brainfog. It was so ridiculous. I never felt so stupid in my entire life.

I've read a post that mentioned that DHT actually is needed to feed certain nerves and the sudden decrease can cause brain damage. I wouldn't discount that.

I've been off for one year now. I noticed improvement after 6-7 months of quitting.

VERY grueling process. Stay away from anything that can induce anything close to stress.


Everything above I totally agree with -- brain fog, mental side effects, feeling retarded, anxiety, dissociation, slurred speech, not being able to think fast enough when speaking, etc.

Also, the post above that says he noticed improvements after 6-7 months off is not the first time I've seen that number.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brain fog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 5:43 am
Posts: 23
Age: 27
Drug: Propecia
Usage: 5 years
Started: 0- 5-2007
Stopped: 0- 8-2011
Location: Albany, New York
I have been off Propecia about 3 years now and still experience daily brain fog. Things that help: exercise, paleo diet has helped some also, staying hydrated. But no matter what, it is still there and my cognitive state is not what it once was. I am perpetually in a fog mentally, which is very frustrating and makes it difficult to live life as I once did. This has been the most difficult side effect for me out of all the other side effects.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO